Last Updated: March 07, 2022
RapidSOS, Inc. (“RapidSOS,” “we,” or “us”) seeks to transform the emergency management ecosystem by offering a platform, products, tools, and services (collectively, the RapidSOS “Emergency-Related Services”) that facilitate and enhance emergency-related and emergency-preparedness-related services, communications among Emergency Service Providers (such as 911 providers, providers of private security, or campus safety officials), and communications between members of the public and emergency responders. We respect personal privacy and recognize the importance of protecting the information we collect, use, store, disclose, and transfer (collectively, “process”), including, in particular, the sensitive information we collect in the course of providing Emergency-Related Services.
“Personal Information” means any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual or household. It may include, but is not limited to, name, email address, postal or other physical address, or, title, as well as persistent identifiers and information reasonably capable of being associated with an individual.
“Emergency Responder” means an organization or official tasked with responding to emergencies experienced by members of the public, such as 911 operators, computer-aided dispatch system providers, campus safety officials, or emergency monitoring services.
“Emergency Caller” means someone who dials 911 (or attempts to contact an Emergency Responder through other means), using a “Connected Device.” An “Emergency Caller” also includes someone who provides RapidSOS with information that they wish to be transmitted to an Emergency Responder in the event a future emergency arises.
A “Connected Device” is a device or application that uses RapidSOS Emergency-Related Services to potentially provide additional assistance in an emergency.
A “RapidSOS Partner” is a provider of online or offline services including, without limitation, platforms, applications, and other electronic commerce services that partners with RapidSOS by incorporating RapidSOS into its online offerings to facilitate response to emergencies involving one of its users.
Personal Information Sources
In connection with providing Emergency-Related Services, RapidSOS collects Personal Information from Emergency Responders, Emergency Callers, RapidSOS Partners, and Connected Devices. We may also collect Personal Information from other individuals involved, directly or indirectly, in or responding to emergencies, and from third parties. We collect this information in several ways.
- We may receive information about you or a member of your household directly from Emergency Callers, Emergency Responders, or a RapidSOS Partner.
- We may automatically collect Personal Information from your Connected Device when you call 911 or another Emergency Responder or your device is used to send an emergency alert to an Emergency Responder.
- We may receive Personal Information directly from Emergency Callers who voluntarily provide us with Personal Information about themselves and others for use in connection with our Emergency-Related Services.
- We may receive Personal Information about Emergency Responders related to their use of RapidSOS Emergency-Related Services.
We may collect the following categories of Personal Information in connection with our Emergency-Related Services:
- Information that directly identifies the owner or customary user of the device, such as name, physical address, email address, and phone number.
- Health information, medical information, and any other information residing on a Connected Device that the customary user of the device has indicated (through device or account settings or otherwise) should be shared with Emergency Responders.
- Precise geolocation of the Connected Device, including information about the direction and speed at which the Connected Device is moving.
- Information about the Connected Device’s configuration, network, and internet connection, such as IP address(es), MAC address, other device ID (UDID), device type, operating system type and version, client version, and other technical data that enables us to provide the Emergency-Related Services.
- Other metadata associated with emergency calls, such as call routing information, call duration, and location-related telemetry,
- Personal Information that an individual affirmatively discloses to RapidSOS in the course of responding to an emergency.
- Other Personal Information communicated by and among Emergency Responders.
- Other information reasonably related to facilitating the provision of Emergency-Related Services.
Personal Information Use
We use Personal Information to operate, maintain, enhance, expand, support, and provide all features of our Emergency-Related Services, protect our legal rights and the rights of others, and as otherwise required by law. For example, we use Personal Information to:
- Supplement the standard 9-1-1 system functionality with more accurate geo-location information and other insights related to the location, movement, and speed of a Connected Device.
- Transmit potentially life-saving health or other information to Emergency Responders.
- Authenticate and communicate with registered Emergency Responders who access our Emergency-Related Services.
- Conduct quality assurance and for research and development purposes, such as data security, improved website navigation and content display, fraud prevention, data analysis, audits, developing new products, producing predictive data models, improving our Emergency-Related Services, identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of our Emergency-Related Services.
Personal Information Sharing
We disclose Personal Information collected through Emergency-Related Services only as reasonably necessary to provide our Emergency-Related Services, protect our legal rights and the rights of others, and to comply with applicable law. RapidSOS does not sell Personal Information collected in connection with Emergency-Related Services.
To these ends, we may disclose your Personal Information to the following categories of third parties:
- Emergency Responders. We share Personal Information with Emergency Responders in order to enhance emergency response, facilitate communication during an emergency, and facilitate emergency-preparedness-related communication.
- Our service providers. RapidSOS’ service providers may have access to certain Personal Information as needed to assist RapidSOS in providing Emergency-Related Services and to operate our business. Our service providers are contractually required to keep this information confidential and secure and are prohibited from using or disclosing this data for any purpose other than carrying out the services that they are performing for us.
- Other entity/ies in connection with corporate reorganization. RapidSOS may disclose Personal Information in connection with any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
RapidSOS does not sell Personal Information collected in the course of providing Emergency-Related Services or use that information for advertising purposes.
Personal Information Retention
As described above, RapidSOS receives certain Personal Information when providing Emergency-Related Services. RapidSOS retains this Personal Information in an identified form only for so long as it is (i) permitted by our contractual commitments to our partners and (ii) needed to provide the Emergency-Related Services and to operate our business in compliance with applicable law, regulation, and industry standards and best practices. The retention periods established by contract, law, and industry standards may vary depending on the nature of the Emergency-Related Services. Wherever possible, when RapidSOS no longer requires Personal Information for active service delivery but is required to retain that data for legal or other purposes, we take steps to pseudonymize, anonymize, and/or securely segregate that data to guard against unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or alteration. Personal information from children under sixteen years old is only knowingly collected when needed to provide Emergency-Related Services and is retained in personally-identifiable form for as long as is reasonably necessary to provide such services and comply with applicable law and regulation.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
We automatically collect personal information on our Emergency-Related Services Platform using common, industry-standard technologies (for example, standard web logs and cookies). Cookies are small text files that are created when your web browser loads one of our general information websites.
RapidSOS does not use marketing or advertising cookies on the Emergency Related Services Platform. Instead, only the following types of cookies are deployed on our Emergency-Relates Services Platform:
- Necessary cookies: These cookies are necessary to the operation of our Emergency-Relates Services Platform. They are required to perform basic functions such as page navigation and access to secure areas of our websites. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
- Functional cookies: These cookies keep track of your personal preferences and settings, such as your preferred language for our Emergency-Related Services Platform. Without these cookies, some of these settings may not function properly.
- Performance cookies: These cookies gather information on how visitors interact with our Emergency-Related Platform, allowing us to understand how they use our platform. This statistical information is used to monitor and improve the platform’s content and performance. The following performance cookies are used on the RapidSOS Emergency-Related Services Platform:
- We use Gainsight cookies to track users’ interactions with the platform, including page visits, button clicks, and links followed. We use the Gainsight PX service in our platform to improve our analytics capabilities and to troubleshoot user interactions with the platform.
- We also use Google Analytics cookies on the Emergency-Relates Services Platform to measure performance and collect data about how visitors use the platform. RapidSOS has turned off all data sharing settings within Google Analytics and configured the data retention settings for the lowest available period.
Your Choices and Your Legal Rights (Including Privacy Rights under California Law)
We do our best to provide individuals with choices and control over their own Personal Information. You may ask us:
- To provide more information about RapidSOS’ processing of your Personal Information during the previous 12 months. Your request can include:
- The categories and specific pieces of Personal Information we collected from you in a machine-readable format;
- Information about why we collected that information, and
- The categories of third parties from whom we received Personal Information about you, and/or the categories of third parties with whom we shared that information.
Note that we are unable to comply with access requests where: (i) we cannot verify your identity; (ii) compliance with your request is not legally required and would involve disproportionate cost or effort, or impact the privacy of others; or (iii) we no longer have the requested Personal Information. Because we do not retain information processed in the course of providing Emergency-Related Services beyond what is necessary to provide those services, we may not have requested information.
- To delete of some or all of your Personal Information from our systems
Under certain circumstances, we will not be able to fulfill your request, for example if the information is necessary to complete a transaction you initiated, interferes with our regulatory obligations, has legal affect, including on a user’s rights with respect to data contained in their account, or where compliance with your request is not legally required and would involve disproportionate cost or effort.
You can make a request related to your Personal Information by emailing email@example.com or writing to RapidSOS, Inc., Attn: Privacy, 3 Park Ave., FL 22, New York, NY 10016. We will not discriminate against anyone who makes such a request.
About Children: Direct Notice to Parents
RapidSOS collects the Personal Information of children under sixteen years old in the ways outlined above in order to respond to emergencies, including to protect the safety of a child in need of our Emergency-Related Services or who reports an emergency using RapidSOS functionality. RapidSOS will not use or disclose Personal Information collected from children under sixteen for any purpose unrelated to the emergency situation involving or reported by a child. This information will only be retained as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it is collected and in accordance with the retention periods described above.
Contact us about our Privacy Practices
Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Policy, your Personal Information, our use and disclosure practices, or your choices by email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail sent to RapidSOS, Inc., Attn: Privacy, 3 Park Ave., FL. 22, New York, NY 10016.